Fire Codes & Building Ordinances:
Tents: (permit required if over 400 SQFT)
3103.8.1 – Access – Fire Department access roads shall be provided in accordance with Section 503.
503.2.1 – Dimensions – Fire apparatus access roads shall have an unobstructed width of not less than 20 feet.
3103.8.2 – Location – 20 feet from lot lines, buildings and other structures
20 feet from parked vehicles and/or any internal combustion engines. (RV & Generators)
3103.9 – Anchorage Required for all weather conditions.
3104.7 – No open flame devices inside or within 20 feet of a tent.
No flammable or combustible liquids or gas inside or within 20 feet of tent.
3104.15 – Heating Equipment:
Installed under International Mechanical Code
Vented under International Mechanical Code
3104.15.7 – Electrical Heating (NFPA 70)
IFC 2015 Electric space Heaters
605.10.2 electric space heaters must plug directly to an approved outlet
605.10.3 electric space heaters cannot plug into any type of electrical extension cord.
605.10.4 electrical space heaters must have a clearance of 3 feet from all combustibles.
3104.16 – LP Gas use and storage:
Outside of tent,
500 gal or less - 10’ from tent
Propane Heaters – 603.4.2 – Locations.
603.4.2.1.1 #2 – Prohibited locations - No propane heaters are allowed inside tents, canopies, and membrane structures.
603.4.2.1.2 – 603.4.2.1.4 & 603.4.2.2.3 - 603.4.2.3.3
1. It must be outside, not inside or under a tent, canopies, or membrane structure.
2. It must be a minimum of 20 feet from all structures.
3. It must be a minimum of 20 feet from all types of combustible materials.
4. It must a minimum of 20 feet from any exit.
5. The manufacturer’s instructions must be followed.
6. It must be equipped with tip over protection.
7. The LP gas supply cannot exceed 20 pounds.
6109.12 – Location of storage outside (Extra Propane/LPG cylinders)
10 feet from all combustibles
6109.13 – Protection of cylinders
Must be properly protected from vehicle impact per NFPA 58